Saturday, July 30, 2011

Cinemaxx

Remember Gregg Araki? I do. I used to love his films. Like, love them. Last night I watched his feature debut The Living End again and, wow, now I remember why I was such a fan. It’s not that his films are good. Oh no. They’re terrible. The acting is bad, the camera is shaky and everything is pretty much unprofessional. But that’s why it’s so amazing. Everything was so real in his films. They were made because he loved making them. Totally Fucked Up, The Living End, Nowhere and his last good movie Mysterious Skin (okay, haven’t seen Kaboom so that might be unfair). The Living End is everything that is Gregg Araki, and is one of the milestones for the former New Queer Cinema. Look it up.

Speaking of films… I want to share with you one cinema in Copenhagen that is so trashy it’s almost good. Almost. It’s a theatre called Cinemaxx and was obviously made for greatness. The floors are red velvet, and there are old school numbers outside every screening room. But it’s inside a mall and there’s a constant smell of popcorn in the lobby. The atmosphere in there is awful, but the selection of candy is good so I’m going to keep coming there.

No comments:

Post a Comment