Friday, October 21, 2011

Another week in good, ol' NYC

That's right. I haven't been with this blog for a while, but business strategies have come in place now and I have decided to post once every Friday. Does this mean less Big City Rodeo? No. It means that every Friday you get a bunch of treats instead of one every day. That's right. It'll be like a giant gift shop where all the presents are free! So what have I got for you today? Well:
First I must take you to a trip to the West Village where I've found the coffee shop Grounded, a perfect haven to get away when it rains (somehow it always does when I'm there). Just avoid it in the summer where they tend to turn the AC up to an unbearable level. Grounded is a perfect place to work (check), read Jonathan Franzen (check), and drink very strange coffee drinks (check). Also, the staff here are actually nice. When is the last time you walked into a coffee shop and the people were nice?




 This is the wall in Grounded's bathroom by the way. Loved it so much that I had to take a picture.
Next up is Ciao For Now which is perfect for brunch on Sundays, Saturdays or whatever. It's this eco-friendly place in the East Village that does take out in the cutest take-out car you've ever seen (there's a picture, don't worry). Get the table by the corner (pictured to the left of this very text), if you can get it.
Also, another thing to love about this place. Kids always do their homework here. By kids I mean children. They go here after school and calculate with 3rd grade notebooks all over the place while sipping hot chocolate. Sometimes accompagnied by adults. Come on, you gotta love that.




Hungarian Pastry Shop! Hands down the best cakes and pastries in New York City. And cheap, too. They're open till 11pm, and crowded at their busy hours, so go there at 8pm on a Saturday. Not only are Saturdays bad for going out (I don't mean to be mean but bridge and tunnel, anyone?) but sitting inside Hungarian Pastry shop with a cheesecake and Earl Grey tea is just amazing when it's dark outside. 111th and Amsterdam. It's worth the trip. Trust me.



The other day I was out for dinner with my lovely friend Kate, and where else to go then than Kate's Joint, right? This place is wonderful. They play Fleetwood Mac and serve severely delish vegetarian and vegan food. Now, I'm not vegan or even vegetarian, but I love the restaurants that are. Somehow they just never fail, and Kate's Joint is my favorite in all of the city. And look at the portions! Crazy.
A tip: get quesadillas with black beans as an appetizer. They're so good.



Okay, so you've been to Kate's Joint and the next day you're all like "I'm totally over being healthy, I want me some mac'n'cheese" and that's when you need Sarita's Mac'n'Cheese, also known simply as S'mac.  No matter what you'll find the kind of mac'n'cheese you want here. They're have some many variations and sizes that it would be pointless going over them here. But trust me, no matter if you do take out and eat in, you should head here. Right now. It's greasy, it's bad (read= bad) for you, but it's so worth it.



See you next Friday everyone. Enjoy the city and the weekend, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment